Gaming Computer

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

[align=center][U][B]Alienware Area 51 ALX(Customised)[/B][/U][/align] [U]CHASSIS[/U] - ALX Black Anodized Aluminum Chassis(1.1KW) [U]PROCESSOR[/U] - Intel® Core™ i7-975 Processor Extreme Edition Overclock to 3.86GHz, 8MB [U]OPERATING SYSTEM[/U] - Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64bit (English) [U]MONITOR[/U] - Alienware OptX™ AW2210 21.5” Full HD Widescreen Monitor [U]MEMORY[/U] - 12GB (3X4GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz Memory [U]HARD DRIVE[/U] - 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor SATA 3.0Gb/s (10000RPM) Hard Drive [U]OPTICAL DRIVE[/U] - 6X Dual Layer Blu-ray Disc™ Burner (BD-RE, DVD±RW, CD-RW) [U]VIDEO CARD[/U] - Dual 2GB DDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 [U]KEYBOARD[/U] - Alienware TactX™ Keyboard(ENG) [U]SOUND CARD[/U] - Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi(TM) Titanium [U]COOLING SOLUTION[/U] - Area 51 High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling Heatsink [U]MICE[/U] - Alienware TactX™ Mouse [U]CHIPSET[/U] - Intel® X58 Express Chipset What do you guys think? Any more improvements? anyone suggest a motherboard that can handle 2 more pci slots? Also I was wondering if i should wait for USB 3.0? and whether i should get RAID0? Is 300GB enough or should i go to the terrabytes?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Creeper
:shock: Man, that thing's gonna sizzle! May consider pricing the components and building it yourself though, might save a considerable amount of $$. (Alienware is notoriously over-priced IMO) FWIW: I'd stick with the 10K RPM drive, the velociraptor is one of (if not THE) fastest. If you want/need more space, then you might consider an external drive.

Alien ware quotes that at $9985 Separate without alien ware's case/keyboard/mouse at $6254. Thats almost a $4000 saving :D but the thing is I've never built a computer and i don't really want to go through the hassle of burning a $1000 processor because i forgot to put some heat sink paste.... Also i really like alien wares case :D the crazy customizable lighting is just out of this world, and those fins at the top of the case are just awesome.. Alienware has certainly caught up in price over the years as its now competitive with building a computer.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
Yeah i mean if you have the money go ahead, but if your on a budget i would predict a massive saving by switching from alienware.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
A lot of that seems to be overkill, your going to be bottle necked by the hard drive. 2GB on a video card is DEFIANTLY overkill. Honestly if you're going for peak performance I'd get something like a 120GB SSD as your main OS and games, then use something like a 1TB HDD for media and other things. No matter how much more power u add to the other components the HDD will be the slowest part of your system. Even putting it into a RAID won't speed it up all to much. But like every1 else is saying if u can afford this and its not going to set u back a year in debt then its fine (300GB is a little small for a HD now-a-days). But if u find each of those parts on newegg you would prolly only end up paying half of that.

Guest RET.Capt.MustangMan94=US=
Just a warning I loved my Alienware but I'd do alot of forum searching on the specific model you are looking at. Yea Alienwares look nice but there known for shipping out comptuer with failing components and there driver support is horrid! Also drop the mouse, keyboard, and monitor alienware's prices are outragous for the gaming components. Don't be afraid of building your own comp, I've been doing it for a while now(12 Years) and there really simple to do. Plus with the internet any question you have you can find the answer to! Also if your doing liquid cooling I'd switch to mineral oil in your lines that way if it leaks you won't have the problem of frying your components. Not sure if Alienware is but water cooling is a thing of the past.

Im a bit concerned it might be overkill but the thing is if it lasts me a good 5-6 years of average performance then i would be happy to pay that price. I was considering building the computer but newegg dosen't ship to australia im pretty sure and because of exchange rates i might be paying $30 more plus postage. Water cooling a thing of the past? what was it replaced by? i've never heard of using oil in lines but i think i could work, sort of like liquid nitro. Is there a high chance that the lines would leak? because i dont want to fry my computer because of some water. i'd rather fry it hardcore gaming on battlefield 2 or something lol.

Just search for Mineral Oil Cooled Computers! It's totally non conductive so you can actually submerge the computer if you wanted to!

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Mineral Oil is the same thing used by these guys [url]http://www.hardcorecomputer.com/[/url] It works amazingly well. U just have to have a case that won't leak it. But honestly unless u'r planning to over clock to the extreme u won't need any liquid cooling.

True but you can run the oil through the standard water pumps! Xander the Alienware he's looking at comes standard OC and Watercooled. All he would have to do is add the mineral oil instead of the water!

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
or.....OR [url]http://is.gd/53Ab8[/url] I never mess with the stuff. My hands are extremely shaky due to my Tremors, so messing with liquid around my computer would be a nightmare. Even if it saves 5-10 degrees most of that could be accomplished by good ventilation and proper fan placement.

Guest RET.SSgt. 8_Ball
$6509.00Subtotal * Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 * 2GB—2 1GB DDR3 modules * Hardcore-customized NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 * 3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285s in SLI * 2 650W power supplies * No internal solid-state drives * 2 Samsung 1TB drives in RAID 1 * Slimline Blu-ray reader * Vista Ultimate 64-bit * Internal light bar (2) * 1-year standard warranty * NVIDIA 3D Vision/Samsung 2233RZ 22" LCD bundle * No keyboard * No mouse * Creative GigaWorks G550W 5.1 * No headphones i wish i had like 7,000 laying around haha

Thats why miner oil is the bomb spill al you want! [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok[/url]

Guest RET.SSG.Spartan0189=US=
Interesting, the oil does not damage any parts I'm assuming? May have to consider once I learn how to make a working computer ;)

No infact the one you see in the video has been running for 2 years in the oil you can go to there site to read more about it. But it's just an example of the wonders of mineral oil.

Sounds "cool" but i think it might be a bit messy messing around with oil, and doesn't oil need replacing much like water needs replacing?, isen't water cheaper over long term? because water is free(well almost). Also i don't think having 3 video cards is worth it, it just takes up too many PCI slots, and i would definetly pick windows 7 over vista simply because of vista's known problems

I run Vista Ultimate and haven't had any problems with it and the oil doesn't need to be replaced if it's seeled!

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
lol 8ball that proc is 2 generations old where have u been. Core i7 baby. And Vista? Why? Oil is by far the way to go if ur considering liquid cooling. Oil won't short anything (minus hard-drive or optical drive).

So basically water lines can also run oil without any issues? so if i were to buy the alienware i could just replace the water with oil?

Guest Big Mac150
im getting an Aurora ALX for Christmas!! [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lizAhhtbQ[/url] Here is a review for most of Alienware's products: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs-XbuEKXdQ&feature=related[/url]

Archived