Need advice

Guest Outrageous_

Guest COMR4DE

Only things I saw

Dedicated sound card? I've never used one of those myself, unless you got some sort of surround sound PC speakers that use those plugs, also your headset is a USB wireless headset soooo you wont need a sound card. Just a tip if you want to use a reciever and surround sound I use the optical port for sound, most mobos these days come with them.

For a wireless card, I would actually get a PCI wireless adapter (not a usb stick), if gotten great ones for sub 20 bucks, here's a nice one for 30

I've never used a USB3.0 wireless stick though, but the boasted spead of 800+ Mb/s only works with AC routers. If you have one of those routers then sure you can dable with the USB stick if you have a need for 800+ Mb/s transfer rate (of course your internet wont be that fast only usefull for file transfer to a server but then the botle neck will be the server and hard drives). Anyways my point is you can save a few bucks for unneeded features and PCI cards are known for more reliability since they are connect straight to your MOBO via PCI rather than hanging on a USB stick.

HOLY 400+ bucks for a MOBO batman! You dont need 8 slots for RAM! Again this is another cheap technology that has advanced far past our practical uses right now. Youd be surprised how many high gaming rigs these days are still "chugging" along at 8 GB of ram, still more than enough. I guess I have to ask what you intention of the computer is? If you're doing some Auto CAD work on the side or heavy video editing... then ok... but just for gaming? You can save a few hundred on this.

I dont think you'll get up to 900W on this rig, personally I go for 80+ GOLD for my PSU's makes me feel warm and fuzy inside, so you can drop the Watts a bit and get a better rating for roughly the same price.

I've never built an INTEL or NVIDIA computer, but that's just my 2 cents :)

Guest Whiskey-Bent

The only time I would get a sound card is if you need Dolby Digital Live. Also I would go with this

CPU cooler http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Extreme-Performance-Liquid/dp/B009ZN2NH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415826064&sr=8-1&keywords=corsair+h100i

Little bit more but it works great and the software that comes with it is very good.

ALSO I hate wireless connections for playing games I would go this route if you cannot get the modem and router in the room you use.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704164&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Powerline+Networking-_-N82E16833704164&gclid=Cj0KEQiAp4yjBRCE_enjmpug944BEiQATCpLvUUJR-D6ClGjbPm5kIkmlEnrPrBb_3q9o8gAyCCp9jYaAr3s8P8HAQ.

I am actually using one right now and am very impressed with it. I don't know if a brand is better.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ARCmedic

You shouldn't be out of basic yet so I'm assuming you have not yet bought these items. I just purchased a new hardware for a fresh build myself. Spent 10 months researching and I couldn't be happier. You and I basically planned on the same gear. However there are a few things I would suggest different.

First, you don't need 900w power supply. I couldn't really think of a situation in which you would ever utilize that. It sounds nice but be smart about your purchases. A lot of guys right out of basic blow their money without thinking so don't be that guy!

You shouldn't need more than 800w even with SLI setup.

Secondly. That motherboard. It's epic but it lacks a lot. Yes it's the best on the market because it supports the best hardware but you arnt buying the best hardware. It's not worth the money to buy what you arnt utilizing. I recommend a Maximus VI or Hero board. They have features that that board doesn't have like full body armor and built in wifi, exchangeable chipsets. Etc etc. You don't load up your m4 with everything you can get cuz the US is paying for it right? You utilize what works best for you and your situation.

The i7 is nice. But the i7 is more specific for process heavy applications like photoshop and graphic design. I have both an i7 and i5 and an i5 does far more with single core applications like video games. The i7 hyper threads are all the rave but it's gonna be another 4-5 years before games utilize that, at that time you'll have to upgrade anyways.

Everything else looks good man. You an I are eye to eye on it all. I didn't go quite as big as you did but still the same. Good taste :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Outrageous_
I might look into the motherboard. As for the i7, I do a lot of photoshop, video editing, using autocadd (I plan on finishing my degree in architecture), and the occasional 3d modeling

Guest ARCmedic

Ithat case yes i7 is a must! Also look into MSi boards. They use military grade material so you can count on reliability. Also I meant to say Maximus VII not VI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived