Computer won't boot

Guest Ednac

Its nothing to do with Windows, but rather some hardware. I press the on button and it just shuts itself back off. Before it was turning itself back on when I turned it off. I've tried some conventional things but no luck. Is it power supply or connection or what? Do i need to give more info? Sometimes it gets to windows boot screen but then it stops working.

Guest Silentstrand
um, if you have a spare PSU i'd try that. other than that i'd say we would need more info, computer type/brand or if it was custom built. does it give any bios errors if it does boot, are there any wierd noises?

Nothing unusual, windows didn't shut down correctly shows, but it usually shuts off before it gets there. custom built no weird noise, only noise is from fans which isn't much. I think it got struck by lightning and I was unlucky, but no proof. Will try to reach someone on teamspeak in a few minutes, or in an hour.

Guest Silentstrand
ok, yea if it was lightning, i would put money down on it being the PSU. I know the last one i seen that took a power surge via lightning started making weird noises from the fan in the PSU (when i say weird, i mean it got really loud). Whenever you get on there poke me and i'll go to whichever channel your in. Right now, I'm just doing a lab for my Cisco Certified Network Administrator Security course, so i'll be at my comp for a while.

Guest PFC.Argasio=US=
Could be the PC trying to prevent the CPU from overheating, did you overclock your CPU recently?is the CPU cooler working properly?

This could also be the board. If the psu hits a fault or isn't getting power through correctly it will just turn itself off for safety. Do you have warranty on the system? Also if it was lightning keep in mind if power went through in a surge to the system even if it seemed ok if it killed a couple of diodes or capacitors in circuit it won't let itself turn on as well.

This all being said i know its silly but change the lithium battery on the board and see if it helps. Sometimes this one little thing hangs it up and then it will start when changed. If this is not it then it was a very cheap attempt before moving to expensive parts.

Cheers and good luck!

RTL

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=

Pvt,

First I will go with the issue that 2ndLt.Basman had and that was a faulty power strip / battery backup.

Unfortunately if it is a bad hardware component and you are getting restarts like this there isn't much option other than to try new components or backups if you have them. To troubleshoot this I would go in order of the following:

1. Check power strip / battery backup

2. Go ahead and check the CMOS Bios battery as TSgt suggested, though this shouldn't cause reboots even if it is bad.

3. I'd check your ram if you have two sticks (usually a bad ram stick will be accompanied by a beep from your mobo speaker but not always)

- Take one stick out boot, if it restarts put it back in and remove the other stick and try again

- Also you may want to check that you even have a mobo speaker to test for POST beeps at all

4. If you have a voltmeter or a spare psu I would test that next to ensure you don't damage other test components you might use if it is a psu issue.

5. If the above seems to be working then I would move onto the video card. If your mobo comes equipped with on board graphics you can remove the video card and enable that, if not then the only way to test is with another gpu.

6. Finally it comes down to the processor and the mobo (both hard to test) unless you have another cpu laying around and or another mobo laying around. You might look for a blown capacitor on the board or some scorching somewhere just as a visual check.

A computer store could run your system through a full test if you have one that is trustworthy and won't charge you an arm and a leg for a diagnostic. I find most pc places are like mechanics and will tell you everything is wrong and only they can repair it etc. etc.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I tried alot of conventional things, but in the end I turned it into an IT place. will say what there diagnosis is here.

I brought it in to the Computer guys. They said uh oh. Next day they turned it on and it worked perfectly. It is forever a mystery what is wrong. I think motherboard or some connection.

Archived