Solid state Drive died.

Guest CanisSapien

Guest CanisSapien

Anyone ever hear of a SSD having a complete failure? Guess it must be a manufacturer default?

Thanks.

Guest MadMonkey
I was told by the guy who built my PC that the SSDs have a limited lifespan Sir, if its true that may be the case. Something about it only being capable of rewriting a certain amount of times.

Guest PFC.Hawkeye366=US=

Maj,SSG

I don't think that's true. I know some of the earlier OCZ's were crappy. We took over a clinet a couple of years ago that had three of them in a custom built server they all died at the same time. The guy who built it did not use enterprise SSD's but the cheaper ones.

when you replace it go with one of the Samsungs

I have been using a Samsung for a while with no issue.

I have only seen a couple fail on my clients pc's one was due to MOBO issue.

I have several servers installed with SSD's and have had no issue, It would not make sense to sell a product like that that needs to be replaced after a number of read writes

Guest AudioChocolate

I'd like to expand on SSG.MadMonkey's explanation.

Unlike mechanical hard-drives, SSD's don't have moving parts, so they tend to last longer. Still, they are not immune from failure. SSD's use a form of flash memory behind the scenes. This technology rapidly transports electrons through a channel known as the tunnel oxide every time it reads or writes data. Over time, electrons can get trapped in this channel. Once trapped, the electrons cannot escape and the SSD will slowly lose the ability to transport electrons through floating gates at a fast enough rate.

In non-technical terms, a bunch of electro-crap piles up in the channels that transport data, similar to how a person's arteries clog up if they eat too many burgers :thumbsup: . Once the channel is completely clogged, it dies. There really isn't anything you can do to prevent this as it is inevitable. Your best option is to purchase SSD's from brand-name vendors and replace them (or at least have backups) every few years.

EDIT:

More detailed information: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8216/samsung-ssd-850-pro-128gb-256gb-1tb-review-enter-the-3d-era/3

Guest MadMonkey

Thank you LCpl for properly explaining this for me, Im not crazy and my PC guy isnt full of it lol.

I have a Samsung I believe, LCpl, when should I look into replacing it? 2-3 years?

Guest AudioChocolate

It's hard to say when you should consider replacing your SSD's. The technology has been rapidly improving over the years. The lifespan of your drives will vary depending on the brand, the year it was made, and how much stress you put it through. I have two SSD's in a raid-1 configuration so my data is automatically backed up to my other drive. I haven't had a drive fail yet and its been 4 or 5 years. When one of them dies, I'll buy another one to replace the failed drive and use the second drive to restore my data.

As A1C.Hawkeye366 pointed out, even servers can hammer into a SSD for many years without any issues.

EDIT

By the way, my PC and software development laptop are also using Samsung SSD's. I haven't had a problem with them in the many years I've had them.

Guest CanisSapien

Thanks all,

I had 3 SSD's, now 2. The one that died was a Toshiba, I also have a Intel, and Samsung. I do have Carbonite so I shouldn't lose much data. Looks like another Samsung in the near future.

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

Samsung SSDs are my goto (I run a 850 PRO and 850 EVO). I've actually heard quite often about failed Toshiba SSDs so I actively avoid them. As for the lifespan, the newest 850s are rated for up to 300TB written, which is a lot. If you actually write 40GB of data daily they will last you 20 years, but in reality you won't ever write that much regularly, so they could theoretically last longer, unless the electrical components die before.

As such I wouldn't really be worried that much about their lifetime. Though if you want to check, you can use a tool like SSDLife to get an estimate on the remaining lifetime of your SSDs.

Mine are as follows:

840 PRO (128GB); Bought March 2014, 11 months work time, powered on 1570 times, 15.4TB written, estimated remaining lifetime: 8+ years

850 EVO (250GB): Bought December 2015, 4.5 months work time, powered on 752 times, 719GB written, estimated remaining lifetime: 8+ years

The estimates are all based on my current usage, so that could change over time as well

I also have the 850 series samsung and have never had issues! cant say enough good things about the company but I have had them quite a long time and with no issue. I also have Samsung SSD in my work computers which have been going for many years. In the 74 different laptops we have running this brand of SSD we have had one failure in 5 years.

Kind regards and thanks!

Guest RET.SSG.Fire56=US=

Sir,

I had an SSD in my rig for a bit, Don't remember off hand which one. However, I paid a pretty penny for it and had a complete failure. While one could say it was an older on and that's why it died, I would also like to say I used it as my scratch-drive for video, audio, and rendering (basically Adobe sent data to be held in the drive till needed, many many read writes). When it worked it cut time down on projects and previews were snappy, I have a hunch doing that many read- writes lead to the premature failure. Just my experiences. For what it's worth I still think Old school drives are more reliable for now, but are maxed out on speed. SSD's will get there in terms of reliability for non enterprise drives, they just aren't there yet.

Archived