Second Clan Game Announcment - Arma 3

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=

Just as a clarification since I got asked this: We will be supporting both BF1 & ARMA 3. BF1 will still be a clan game.

You've talked about it, you've passed it up, and after extensive JCS discussion we have decided to move forward with it.

For a long time unknown soldiers has been a single game clan but based on what we've heard from members, and our leadership discussions, it seems that the interest and the structure exists to now facilitate more than that.

Based on the style of our clan we've opted to go with Arma 3 for the following reasons:

1. Military Simulation

2. Member interest / Many members already own this game

3. Extensive mod-abillity

4. Game is already mature (fully released) and has expansive user base

5. Game is highly tactical and provides a lot of room to grow and improve

Though we are still in the planning stages, we already have assignments for JCS and are quickly developing the necessary plans to seamlessly integrate Arma 3 into our current structure.

We plan on eventually opening this game for Full Recruitment status, meaning, eventually you will be able to join the Unknown Soldiers for Arma 3 and Arma 3 alone if you so choose.

In essence members can play only BF1, only Arma 3 or both if they want but simply owning one will allow someone to be an unkso member.

If there is anyone that is interested in participating in Arma 3 as an unknown soldier / has any further ideas or suggestions / or has previous Arma 3 expertise that they would like to help us with simply talk with your CoC and let us know!

We are very excited for this change and thank everyone for passing up suggestions and ideas that got us to this point. Here's to the growth of the clan and to the expansion of the Unknown Soldiers into a new front!

Also keep an eye out on the forums there will be multiple posts coming in the upcoming days regarding Arma 3 from both Intel and Division.

Guest marpla

Morning all!

Well... i have this game...tho i played only a few hours since the learning curve is not easy at all/hard, i could try to re install it.

If im allow, i´ve want to say for those who already are playing this game and now the mechanics someone need to take charge of the "new guys" like me and others because this is NOT a game you jump into a server and play, so there has to be some "Trainer" if you want to call it (probably already taking care knowing the nature of the clan).

I'm interested to see how this goes but worried at the same time.

Thanks.

Guest RET.CPT.Vogts=US=
This is some great news in my eyes. I personally love ArmA 3, and play it regularly. As SSgt.marpla said, the learning curve isn't all the easy, but people willing to learn it should get the hang of it relatively quickly. Thank you for this announcement, Major.

Guest Satcom
... want to say for those who already are playing this game and know the mechanics someone need to take charge of the "new guys" like me and others because this is NOT a game you jump into a server and play, so there has to be some "Trainer" if you want to call it (probably already taking care knowing the nature of the clan).

I'm interested to see how this goes but worried at the same time.

Thanks.

Agree with SSgt.marpla78, because when the talk was between Arma 3 & Squad... I purchased Squad and played it a few times only to find myself lost. I will probably purchase Arma 3 but I will need to wait for it to go on sale first as I recently purchased Squad.

Guest MadMonkey
Count me in Sir!! We will definitely need a bct that goes over controls and gameplay as there is alot to learn for newer players and I for one will admit I could use a refresher on it.

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

No worries on not being able to get into the game. We're already making plans on how to train people in ArmA and how everything works out. It won't be a case of just throwing everyone in at the deep end, there will be ways to get everyone up to speed and comfortable with the game and roles they play. This is going to be a full incorporation into the clan life, so for those who so choose there will be ArmA practices and trainings specifically built for that.

It is going to be difficult to spin up something like this, but both Division and Intel are already working hard on finding solutions to bring this to life.

Guest marpla
No worries on not being able to get into the game. We're already making plans on how to train people in ArmA and how everything works out. It won't be a case of just throwing everyone in at the deep end, there will be ways to get everyone up to speed and comfortable with the game and roles they play. This is going to be a full incorporation into the clan life, so for those who so choose there will be ArmA practices and trainings specifically built for that.

It is going to be difficult to spin up something like this, but both Division and Intel are already working hard on finding solutions to bring this to life.

Ty sir, i will probably be one of those "slow learning" guys :D

Guest RET.GySgt.DDog=US=
If anyone owns the game and is having difficulty learning the mechanics and controls, 1stSgt.Bwa and Myself are on just about every evening/night playing Arma 3 and would be more than happy to show you the ropes and get you comfortable with the basics of the game. I know it may seem intimidating at first but I promise you once you learn the basics, over a little bit of time you'll definitely get the hang of it. As for this announcement obviously I'm extremely excited, I loved bf3 and bf4 but bf1 was a huge letdown but I always felt we could do so much more with Arma and so now that it's becoming a second game I'm super excited to see what we as a clan can do. There are so many possibilities in Arma 3 that it really just depends on the dedication and imagination of those in charge of creating events. Oh and Capt.Padarom for training you could definitely set up some during ranges on the large salt flat of Altis heck you could do a lot of different training exercises there Sir. I'm so excited now! Please come out and play with 1stSgt.Bwa and Myself if you would like to learn the ropes and basics! Thank you for this Announcement JCS and Major.

Guest LCpl.StayDown64=US=

Major, I think this is a very good development. I really enjoy BF1 and will continue to play it. However, the range of scenarios available for practice purposes is limited due to server options, and the nature of the game itself.

I played Squad during the free weekend and wasn't really impressed. It's still in Alpha and has many issues which disqualify it as a clan game in my opinion.

Arma 3 is a much more developed game and has, I believe, a lot of potential for us. Not only as a way to rekindle the interest of those disappointed with BF1, but as a way to increase clan members.

Echoing the concerns of SSgt marpla78, the game does have a learning curve but not as steep as you might think if you just jumped in and tried to play by yourself. Sgt DDog and 1stSgt Bwa are very helpful instructors and it shouldn't take very long to get those of us interested up to speed. Thanks for your help Sgts :-).

Everyone,

Arma is a game that has a Very extensive Military Simulation following with many servers dedicated to large scale and small scale play. Those who don't have Arma remember it is a different style of game but a long mission complimented with how the previous BCT and CMOS systems are this will be a very nice integration into the clan. Remember as mentioned this is not as much a Run and Gun game however when a server is open several squads can do thier own thing on one map against NPC's with literally hundreds of scenarios that are player created open for download. For those who have not played this game or are curious look it up on you tube and some other bits. Those who have played but found it difficult or cumbersome, grab one of the players who have played for a bit and get some guidance on key training before a training regime is set up. Remember this is a real communication game and the reward of a victory in Arma is a very different feeling than battlefield where one good player can change the battle, in Arma it is all the team. Glad to hear of this games adoption and very excited to see how the roll out is accomplished.

Again in summary Arma vs Battlefield for short notes;

Arma - Slow and deliberate strategic play with difficulty associated with a re spawn / Battlefield - Run and gun style of play with many re spawns and little strategy needed in public play

Arma - Large amount of communication needed when under fire as there is no (Redberry) indicated for enemies / Battlefield - Obvious marking for enemies and their configuration when spotted

Arma - Damage of almost any amount can be fatal, spray and pray very ineffective / Battlefield - Damage at times depends on connectivity, spray and pray effective and first to pull trigger typically wins

Arma - Large maps requiring planning, use of compass, map and communication to locate and move, deliberate strategy required / Battlefield - Very easy to read map showing everyone spotted and locations easily and quickly, can spawn anywhere you see action

Just a few notes for those who haven't played, or haven't played much to consider when playing Arma, its not your typical 3d Shooter!

Kind regards and thanks!

RTL

Guest RET.GySgt.DDog=US=
Hey PFC thank YOU for giving us a chance and allowing us to try and teach you. Definitely expect more help now that me and the 1stSgt have a server. 1stSgt I didn't even think about the implications of BCT and COMOS with Arma 3 but now my mind is just racing with ideas and possibilities. Honestly this is gonna be a work in progress transition but I am so excited and would be more than honored to offer any form of help that I could possibly give.

Guest RET.CPT.Vogts=US=
The 1stSgt. gave a very good Summary, as for CMOS and BCT will be very fun. I usually play ArmA heavily modded to make it even more realistic and harder to play. In my opinion we should definately consider the Task Force Radio Mod to be installed, as it just amps up TacComms one hundred fold.

Guest RET.GySgt.DDog=US=
True that 1stSgt. Truth is adding this second game could really breathe a bit of fresh air and some new life into the clan. To be able to continue gaining members for BF1 yet also gain members for Arma 3 is definitely going to be different, maybe even confusing at first but I personally think this is a great move.

Guest marpla
Well it just means we have 2 trains, 2 train stations ;) Diversity can bring a lot more people into the clan as well.

Agree on this, yeap blame BF1 because that game brought some South American flavor to the clan and thanks for the notes 1stSgt.

Since we are 2 games clan now...we might made the official channel on TS, right?

Guest JimAlmeida

Well, sure it is a lot to digest and a bold move to support two divisions. Looking at the Steam page of this game, I found myself among many options of DLC, Arma Apex, base game plus what the community offers. It would be awesome if Command could release a list of Arma III content we will be running in the clan. Would it be just the Base Game? Will there be mods? Which ones? DLCs? Are we supporting it as well? Should we think of a standardized pack for all =US= members to facilitate in-game play?

I don't understand Arma much as you can see.

If Arma III gets too successful (I hope), I wouldn't be surprised if BF1 div faded away. I've seen it happen in the past with other people.

EDIT PS: I will wait to go on sale to buy it, should I consider having the game.

Guest RET.GySgt.DDog=US=
Well, sure it is a lot to digest and a bold move to support two divisions. Looking at the Steam page of this game, I found myself among many options of DLC, Arma Apex, base game plus what the community offers. It would be awesome if Command could release a list of Arma III content we will be running in the clan. Would it be just the Base Game? Will there be mods? Which ones? DLCs? Are we supporting it as well? Should we think of a standardized pack for all =US= members to facilitate in-game play?

I don't understand Arma much as you can see.

If Arma III gets too successful (I hope), I wouldn't be surprised if BF1 div faded away. I've seen it happen in the past with other people.

EDIT PS: I will wait to go on sale to buy it, should I consider having the game.

Now I may be wrong SA. But I believe we'll probably end up treating dlc kinda like how we treated it in our BF counterparts. Not required but if you have it then great. I know with Arma you don't need to have the dlc to play with others who do (unless you want to play on the apex map in which case you do) but if you don't have the dlc you just won't be able to use the dlc vehicles / items which really isn't a big deal. As for mods we might end up using some mods but I wouldn't worry about that right now.

We will likely have mods that the clan will use but we will have a system in place or at minimum a list with instructions for everything that is needed mod wise.

Archived