A day of Infamy 9/11

Guest Gamerbeau

Guest Gamerbeau
NYPD Police Commissioner Francis Reagan (Blue Bloods) stated that everyone remembers where they were when the Towers came down. Let =US= Remember. Where were you? Give a shout out to those that came to the aid of their fellow Americans. Tell a story. This is a part of our history. Let =US= Never Forget.

When it happened i was starting my first year in a Military Boarding school! It was scary back then and 4 years later I joined the war against terrorism.

Guest AudioChocolate
I was 6 years old when 9/11 occurred. I remember school let out early and my parents looked spooked while watching the news. I was too young to truly understand what was going on.

Guest RET.SSG.Fire56=US=

I wasn't sure if I wanted to answer this but here it goes.

My day that day started out with signing my life away as I prepared for a week long cross training event with the FDNY. Having been out of the fire academy for less than a year I took every opportunity to learn and to train with people that knew more than I did. So that morning I started in learning mode. I was in the middle of a practical when the first plane struck.

Most of us at the facility geared up and jumped on any vehicle we could find to head into the city. At this point we didn't know a plane had hit the building, we didn't know what was going on , all we knew is we had to get to Manhattan.

I won't tell you what I did or what I saw, I will tell you I spent more than a few years of my life after that day at the bottom of more than a few bottles. I will also tell you that on that day, I saw the worst of humanity, and the best of humanity.

I walked off the pile on 9-14-01 after having been recalled by my department. I was 18. Still very much a kid in a situation way over my head.

I leave this for all who reads this: The Firefighters Prayer author unknown

When I am called to duty, God,

wherever flames may rage,

give me strength to save a life,

whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child

before it is too late,

or save an older person from

the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert,

and hear the weakest shout,

quickly and efficiently

to put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling,

to give the best in me,

to guard my friend and neighbor,

and protect his property.

And if according to Your will

I must answer death's call,

bless with your protecting hand,

my family one and all.

Guest CPT.Vanarambaion=US=

I was taking college courses my last two years of high school. I was a junior, and I'd just started. I remember driving to the college, and they came over the radio saying that a plane had hit the first tower. I remember thinking that somebody in traffic control was going to lose their job, and then I walked into the building. By the time class started, the second plane had hit, and the professor was trying to keep our attention on calculus rather than what was going on in the hallways. About twenty minutes into class, somebody set up a TV in the hallway, and I took a bathroom break to see what all the commotion was about. The professor finally gave up and dismissed class. They ended up clearing the building due to our proximity to Dover AFB and sent everyone home.

I remember not being able to believe that this could have been on purpose. I remember being sick to my stomach as the information came rolling in. I'd never thought about Afghanistan before that day. I'd never known just how depraved someone could be, to ram a plane full of innocent people into a building because they were so drunk on religion they had lost their humanity. I did a lot of growing up that day. Many of my friends who know me offline will comment that when I get angry I suck all the air out of a room. It's true. But I learned how to be angry, what it meant to be angry, on that day.

I remember wondering if I could get around the enlistment rules and go to war as a 16 year old. Luckily, I was smart but without the resources to accomplish that. I decided that I'd either go to college or join the military. When I got done with college, I decided I'd go to law school or join the military. Finally, after law school, I joined the military.

I know I joke a lot about stuff having to do with the military, and specifically my job in the military. I joke about POGs, I joke about officers, I joke about lieutenants especially. But trust and believe, I take what I do extremely seriously. I may not be the guy pulling the trigger, but somebody has to give the authorization to fire. I have no illusions about what the military is there to do, I have no problem doing it, and if I have anything to say about it, we will never have another 9/11 again.

Never forget. Watch the planes hit the building. Get sad, get angry. Remember how it made you feel. Never. Let. It. Happen. Again.

Guest Gamerbeau

6:00 a.m. Headed for PT on the parade field near MP headquarters in Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.

6:05 a.m. SFC Cunningham 4th Platoon Sgt 13th MP Company pulls us aside and I'll never forget what he said next "America is under attack from an unknown enemy set on destroying our American way of life. We are the ones that the civilains are going to come to for Security and Protection. Although not official We are now at war. You are trained, ready, willing and able. You are not here by power of the draft. You are here because you believe in something greater than yourself. You are a volunteer. There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer. It's going to be a long time before you have another day off. We are on lock down. Every entrance, exit, and hole in the fence will be manned and protected 24/7 for the foreseeable future. Do your jobs, follow your training, and remember your oaths. You are Soldiers!"

Watching the events unfold 6000 miles away, affected each of us as if we were standing on ground zero. We watched the Towers fall, and our hearts burned with anger and lust for justice. We watched as the thousands of civilians ferried their countrymen to safety from every beach head that Manhattan had. Our hearts soared at the unify power that these events had on the souls of every American. We reached out to each other. Regardless of personal feelings, beliefs, orientations, careers, we came together. We were afraid, we cried. we fought, But never were we alone.

Archived