Building a new Rig...suggestions welcome!

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Alright, it has been 6+ years since I built my original and it has recently started crapping out on me (freezing, crashing etc). So I am in the market for building a new rig. Looking to spend $1000-$2000, but not a hard point. I am hoping those more tech savvy/up on the latest tech can help out. Really the only thing I am carrying over is my Keyboard, mouse and Headset since they are all relatively new. So looking for suggestions on a complete build:

-Processors? AMD vs intel, is there something on its way I should wait on?

-Vid cards, power supply, hard drive(s), case etc etc

-Monitors. Will want 2 to replace my ancient Dell and HP monitors that still use DVI and such (not HD).

I am hoping for multiple suggestions and then research the crap out of all of it and either take 1 build or piece together from multiple suggestions. All thoughts/ideas welcome. Thank you in Advance, you are putting your VADM back on the battlefield! :thumbsup:

Guest RET.CPT.Vogts=US=

VADM,

The amount of Money you want to spend on your new Rig defines the "Class" it will take. There are multiple options. AMD Processors, especially the new Ryzen Cores, are generally a bit cheaper than Intel cores and have better Multithreading capabilities, Intel's i7-8xxx Series still wins on Single thread processes though. It really is a thing of preference. Intel is usually a bit more expensive, but my processor of choice.

Graphics Card wise you cannot go wrong with a GTX1070 really, I've been using mine for over a year and it can do smooth on all games that I play.

Harddrives I'd definately go for an SSD for your OS and perhaps 1 or 2 games depending on size, and then a 2-3 TB HDD for your Data Dump.

Power Supply is usually the easiest thing, depending on the components you usually won't go wrong with a 600W PSU

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=

I'd maybe wait a bit on getting a rig or focus on getting a graphics card at MSRP right now. That's going to be your biggest issue as crypto mining has pushed prices way up. For example, a GTX 1070 Ti, which is a decent mid-range card, goes for $800+ now (which is what I paid for my 1080 Ti).

As for CPUs, if you're not going for core count and want a quad core CPU, I'd stick with Intel. If you're not caring about HyperThreading, just do an i5-8600k. Ryzen is great if you want to go for maximum core count on a budget, but the Coffee Lake i7-8700k is a six-core CPU, so Ryzen makes sense only if you're budget conscious or want more than six cores.

I'm putting together a sample build for you without the monitor, case, or drives.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bp9rxG

Guest Blu3_Ranger

VADM,

For processor I would recommend AMD Ryzen 8 1800X over Intel, (the only con is that AMD chips keeps your room Nice and Warm great for Winter days not so great for Summer Nights)

AMD Ryzen 8 1800X ($349.99)

Mother Board ASRock X370 (99.99)

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) 16GB (2 x 8GB) (199.99)

Graphics card GTX 1080 TI ($699.00) MRSP

Monitor 2 Acer KG271 27" TN 1ms 144hz (270 x 2 = $540)

Keeping your current case, PSU and HDD Total = 1888.97

On the side note, I would definitely wait until the Bitcoin Craze goes down because the Graphics Card Market is a mess and has affected the price of graphic cards tremendously.

Regards,

A1C.Blu3_ranger

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

First this is amazing so far, thank you guys!

Second I figured I would share my current build, in case it helps or if you guys think I can re-use the case or other parts. Again, I really appreciate it. I can reconstruct your face, but this is something i figure i would get help with haha.

Only diff is my current VidCard is not this one, I think it is a RadeonHD 3650 512

Guest JimAlmeida
What about the Intel CPU's patches for security? I've heard they reduce performance by 30% in some cases. Second-gen Ryzen are around the corner and they're cheaper while still great for overall PC use (e.g. gaming, video editing). With that GPU of yours, you can definitely wait to see about these GPU prices, since the GTX970 does a good job at holding most of the released games we have (of course, not all games on High/Ultra, but the ones we support probably can). Anything else, I would go with the A1C's build so far. I would switch the PSU, though, the capacitors from yours should be worn out and thus, is losing energy efficiency, which would add to A1C's final cost.

Guest Blu3_Ranger

Adjusting for re-usability of your current build

MasterLiquid 240 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler 89.99

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 219.99

EVGA 750 GQ 210-GQ-0750-V1 80+ GOLD 119.99

Keeping your current case, Graphics card, while Data Migrate your HDD to the SSD and keep the HDD for a storage drive Total = 1619.94

-A1C.Blu3_Ranger

Adjusting for re-usability of your current build

MasterLiquid 240 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler 89.99

SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 512GB SATA III 219.99

EVGA 750 GQ 210-GQ-0750-V1 80+ GOLD 119.99

Keeping your current case, Graphics card, while Data Migrate your HDD to the SSD and keep the HDD for a storage drive Total = 1619.94

-A1C.Blu3_Ranger

I wouldn't recommend TN panels even if they are 144hz. The quality is pretty low and the viewing angles are pretty poor.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Again thank you everyone for you ideas. I think I started putting things together based on suggestions and picking/choosing. This is what I have so far:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Lj3NnH

thoughts? (the power supply is my current one, so no need to waste money i feel)

Thing's I am not sure of still are the case and still looking at monitors. So again, still looking at all suggestions. Monitors considering the predator, ASUS swift, and AOC? But again, any and all thoughts/suggestions? Is curved worth it?

Also if anything looks off/weird/doesn't make sense please say so. Or if there is something equally as good but cheaper price or better quality.

Thanks in advance!

Again thank you everyone for you ideas. I think I started putting things together based on suggestions and picking/choosing. This is what I have so far:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Lj3NnH

thoughts? (the power supply is my current one, so no need to waste money i feel)

Thing's I am not sure of still are the case and still looking at monitors. So again, still looking at all suggestions. Monitors considering the predator, ASUS swift, and AOC? But again, any and all thoughts/suggestions? Is curved worth it?

Also if anything looks off/weird/doesn't make sense please say so. Or if there is something equally as good but cheaper price or better quality.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a great build. Can't go wrong with the Predator for a monitor if you want some 21:9 action. It's great, too, if you can overclock the panel to 100Hz because you get some of that sweet, sweet high framerate action.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=
Huzzah! Thanks to LtCol, I was ablt to get my 1080TI AND the motherboard for $999....I'd call that a success. Now just putting the rest together. Thanks again everyone!

Archived