I was told to come back and visit by some glorified dentist

Guest CW4.Sharpz=US=

Guest CW4.Sharpz=US=

How does one vote again chief? -_-

Some absolute legend put a button in the top right hand corner of teamsoeam sir

Guest RET.COL.Tanner
Funny every time I'm invited by a dentist I have to sit and squirm in a chair for an hour! Figured I'd hijack a hello thread and say hi as well. Been flirting with the idea of getting back into gaming on the computer...if I make the investment I'll have to stop by and play a game or two with yall. Hope everyone is well to the few familiar faces and to all those new ones that have kept this group going over the years!

Guest RET.COL.Tanner

There's a quote I remember about being "Texan" something about horns, I think it applies...and since I don't speak "Queens English" I guess I know which you imply I am. Now by stopping in now and again to say hello I didn't realize that "knighted" me as troll status...who knew?

Darmine I'm starting to think you don't like me! :P

What's the game of choice? I was reading you guys didn't like the BF1, what's keeping you guys occupied if so? For work I've dreadfully had to convert most every electronic I own to Apple, so there is a bit of the problem for me. I doubt I'd be able to join you guys for a game unless I wanna buy a home PC with some decent specs. I've heard graphics cards are getting stupid, so prebuilt might be the way to be most cost effective. Insights?

Darmine you still allow old retiree's back to play on occasion? With me being this many years outta practice I may be a bit of an embarrassment in game...

Any word from any other old timers??? What they've been up to and such?

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
You bring spice to my life Tanner. I heart u. We have BF1, RB6: Siege and BF4 and off games are Wildlands, PUBG and The Division. All Retired are allowed to come join us in TS anytime.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Ol Tanner, I know I didn't know you when you were Active here, but been around long enough to see you pop in now and again haha, how are ya?

I just built a new rig, and yes GPU's are rediculous, but EVGA's website have MSRP cards, sometimes you have to but it in a bundle as I did but still cheaper than buying a card outright at these rediculous prices (card and mobo, or Card and Cooler for under $1k)

As for old timers, OP, Grunt, Kimo, 8ball , Kraor all drop in now and again...and though he is RET, Ward is still here too haha

Guest RET.COL.Tanner

Darmine glad to see you guys have kept it going over the years. As people come and go I imagine it gets predictable to see people always check in to see how old buddies are, can’t ever completely cut the cord! You still play often or the four stars of leadership keep you too occupied?

Dental I thought you were around towards the end of my tenure around here? I was slowly handing over my roles as puppet master and web guy as you joined. It’s been years so maybe I’m mistaken, old age...

I think last I checked in I may have told of my new adventure, but if not currently flying for Emirates Airlines on their whale of a plane A380, when I started I was on the A330 but sadly they are no longer in the fleet. I get some time off so I figured since I really dislike Xbox controllers I may buy a decent PC to play again online.

That being said, I did have a question. Now forgive me I’ve been out of the realm of all this for so long I’ll be asking dumb ones, but can gaming and all this be done if I bought a top spec MAC? I asked the computer guy at the store about the desktops and he said most games could run, and if not you can use Windows on the MAC. It’s not that I’m opposed to going back to PC, but I’ve been using Apple products so long now I wonder if my brain could even make the shift. This is what the sign said on specs:

*27-inch Retina 5K display

*Intel Xeon W Processor (8-core)

*1TB SSD

*Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics

*Four THunderbolt 3 (USSB-C) ports

*Four USB 3 ports

*10Gb Ethernet and WiFi

*5120-by-2880 resolution

So to you computer guys are these numbers and mumbo jumbo good? I know you may hate Apple, and I did at a time too, but to keep my world still in the same circle of components is it “do-able?”

All feedback welcome...just want get ideas before I look to make the purchase.

Guest RET.COL.Tanner
Ok after a little exploration, coolest addition to the site is hands down the "Timeline"! Darmine this was like walking down memory lane, and then getting the pleasure of catching up with some cool details! I'd correct one minor thing, it's literally the first entry. We formed with 99% of active roster of the [uAF] minus it's leader/dictator; which later attempted his own little insertion and coup d'etat. Darmine what was his name?!

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Dental I thought you were around towards the end of my tenure around here? I was slowly handing over my roles as puppet master and web guy as you joined. It’s been years so maybe I’m mistaken, old age...

At this point and I believe you are correct my friend, been too long for me to accurately remember too haha.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
Darmine glad to see you guys have kept it going over the years. As people come and go I imagine it gets predictable to see people always check in to see how old buddies are, can’t ever completely cut the cord! You still play often or the four stars of leadership keep you too occupied?

I think last I checked in I may have told of my new adventure, but if not currently flying for Emirates Airlines on their whale of a plane A380, when I started I was on the A330 but sadly they are no longer in the fleet. I get some time off so I figured since I really dislike Xbox controllers I may buy a decent PC to play again online.

That being said, I did have a question. Now forgive me I’ve been out of the realm of all this for so long I’ll be asking dumb ones, but can gaming and all this be done if I bought a top spec MAC? I asked the computer guy at the store about the desktops and he said most games could run, and if not you can use Windows on the MAC. It’s not that I’m opposed to going back to PC, but I’ve been using Apple products so long now I wonder if my brain could even make the shift. This is what the sign said on specs:

*27-inch Retina 5K display

*Intel Xeon W Processor (8-core)

*1TB SSD

*Radeon Pro Vega 56 graphics

*Four THunderbolt 3 (USSB-C) ports

*Four USB 3 ports

*10Gb Ethernet and WiFi

*5120-by-2880 resolution

So to you computer guys are these numbers and mumbo jumbo good? I know you may hate Apple, and I did at a time too, but to keep my world still in the same circle of components is it “do-able?”

All feedback welcome...just want get ideas before I look to make the purchase.

Ah, you're looking at a base model iMac Pro. In theory, gaming can be done via Bootcamp and Windows. The Vega 56 is a decent mid-end graphics card, so you're not going to be playing anything crazy, and it's likely you'll have to downscale your resolution from 5k to maintain a consistent frame rate on anything above low settings. Gaming on a Mac still isn't a decent proposition. Windows is still the preferred operating system for most games (save for cross-platform indie games).

I, too, heavily use Apple products in my daily life and only maintain a PC for gaming. My MacBook Pro is far and away my daily driver and my preferred development machine. I sometimes get the control and command keys mixed up on my Windows desktop, which is really annoying.

Guest RET.COL.Tanner

Dental, we both have a few grey hairs I'm sure that show our ability to forget...I think it's called wisdom right? I forget. I may have popped in a bit more regularly and that's why it seems we have the same timeline screwed up! Got to jog my memory a bit with Darmine on TS; which I can in fact run on my laptop, also in the UAE; but I think in total honesty nothing will ever beat the days of BFV.

Spartan I think you're leaning me towards just doing a PC in that case. I don't wanna shell out a ton of loot just to find out my home PC is "adequate" at best to get to play with you guys. I was telling Darmine I have a few purchases needing to be made in the next few months so I'll do the budget and hopefully be able to weasel me in some fun time by buying a good gaming machine. Probably best to keep work and pleasure on separate operating systems anyway huh? lol

Now that I can log in to TS I'll try to pop by during a meeting on Friday but it'll be early morning for me...otherwise I'll see you guys when I can. I'm about 9+ hours ahead of you guys so it'll be my challenge to work out.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
Ok after a little exploration, coolest addition to the site is hands down the "Timeline"! Darmine this was like walking down memory lane, and then getting the pleasure of catching up with some cool details! I'd correct one minor thing, it's literally the first entry. We formed with 99% of active roster of the [uAF] minus it's leader/dictator; which later attempted his own little insertion and coup d'etat. Darmine what was his name?!

His name was GEN.Hixxon.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
Dental, we both have a few grey hairs I'm sure that show our ability to forget...I think it's called wisdom right? I forget. I may have popped in a bit more regularly and that's why it seems we have the same timeline screwed up! Got to jog my memory a bit with Darmine on TS; which I can in fact run on my laptop, also in the UAE; but I think in total honesty nothing will ever beat the days of BFV.

Spartan I think you're leaning me towards just doing a PC in that case. I don't wanna shell out a ton of loot just to find out my home PC is "adequate" at best to get to play with you guys. I was telling Darmine I have a few purchases needing to be made in the next few months so I'll do the budget and hopefully be able to weasel me in some fun time by buying a good gaming machine. Probably best to keep work and pleasure on separate operating systems anyway huh? lol

Now that I can log in to TS I'll try to pop by during a meeting on Friday but it'll be early morning for me...otherwise I'll see you guys when I can. I'm about 9+ hours ahead of you guys so it'll be my challenge to work out.

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know if you need any help speccing out a new desktop. We're always happy to help :)

Also, it is nice to have separate operating systems for work and fun, too :)

Archived