hAlp

Guest DKDJ122

Guest DKDJ122

please help me understand what to expect going into college... i am beyond frightened and do not know what to expect.

any suggestions or tips?? ?(

Guest JimAlmeida

I will answer this question later calmly but in the meantime, what is your major and where are you attending college?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=
please help me understand what to expect going into college... i am beyond frightened and do not know what to expect.

any suggestions or tips?? ?(

We are all here to help. Most importantly remain calm, you don't start til august right? Any and all of us are willing to help. Once you talk to Jim, ask more it can only help.

Do know that you will likely meet a number of great people.

Guest JimAlmeida

I had written one hell of a wall of text and then I wrongly pressed cancel. God, 30 minutes in the trash can.

Shoot me in TS, if you need a more in-depth perspective into college but I will give you the rule of thumb to succeed in college: Do all of your assignments, be diligent in all that you do, stay in touch with family. Do not be desperate, else you will be like me, growing my first strand of white hair before having a full-grown beard. Tame your fears, be very courageous.

Personal advice. Do not do what many people do in college: Dive into insane amounts of booze, drugs and meaningless sexual relations. This will just get you in a downward spiral that will directly affect your adult life. It (booze, drugs, etc) won't make the pain go away but will just give you the false impression it's gone. Solving whatever issue you may have will make it go away. Too bad I don't have a testimony so you could see what happens when you preserve yourself in college, but someday I will, God willing it will be my own life.

Whatever happens in college, decides your whole life. It is a game of high stakes. You are not alone in the journey but you must not compromise. Stay frosty always.

Guest CPT.Vanarambaion=US=

College will be one of the best periods of your life. Lots of things are going to change, but you will have more fun and meet more great people than you can imagine.

Don't worry about your major until you have to pick one. Take classes that look interesting or fun. Get involved in clubs or Student Government. College is a place you can try out who you want to become in the rest of your life.

There is no need to freak out. College is an awesome experience, and that has nothing to do with classes. You'll try a lot of new things. Some you'll like, some you won't. You'll succeed, and you'll fail. And in four years, you'll know a lot more about who you are and where you're going. Embrace the experience, even the crappy ones. Learn, grow, overcome. You'll look back on these years fondly.

Guest AudioChocolate

I graduate with my BS in computer science next week, so college is pretty fresh on my mind. When I was preparing to graduate from high school, selecting a university, degree, and career path was nerve racking. Not to mention the daunting tuition and book fees. I've compiled a couple recommendations from my own experiences:

Get a part time job

Two concerns I often hear are will I still be paying off student loans in 10 years? and All the jobs I want require experience, but I don't have any.

Many students don't work through the semester because balancing their time between a job and school can be difficult. Depending on your financial situation this could be a nasty trap. Pick up a part time job to help pay off small bits of your education. Over the next 4 or so years, your payments will add up and your loans won't be nearly as high by the time you graduate.

In addition to the financial benefits, showing a future employer that you've maintained a stable job for 4 years will demonstrate that you're reliable. You'll obtain work experience and have references for when you apply to your first "real" job in your career. Your first job might not be the most luxurious position. I worked at a Dairy Queen for 3 years before finding a more satisfying position. There are still many important life skills you'll learn there, that no school could adequately teach you:

- Timeliness

- Handling conflicts with co-workers

- Working with people of different personalities and perspectives

- Customer relations & communication

^ You will be asked about these experiences in future job interviews. Might as well be prepared for them right? :D

Consider your career before your degree

Take college out of the equation for a moment. Think about what you're passionate about. It could be teaching, building things, computer programming, playing an instrument, creating art, etc. Once you've identified your interests, research careers that align with them. Consider salary, benefits (retirement, food, vacation), work environment, career progression (how often are you promoted/pay raise?). Most importantly, look up the projected job availability for that career. For example, if you want to make a career out of building bird houses, make sure there is a demand for that kind of work. Otherwise, you may struggle to find a job after graduation.

You don't need to choose your career now. Just have an idea of what fields spark your interest, and select a degree that allows you to become more skilled in those areas. College is one big experiment, where you learn about what you think you want vs what you actually want. Don't be afraid to take some general education courses in other fields to learn more about them. I wanted to be an aerospace engineer, but then found software development was more interesting.

Side note: Salary is not everything. Don't dive into a career because it pays well. There is no point in having a high paying job if it makes you miserable.

It'll all work out in the end

You may find yourself stressed about exams, due dates, or other things life throws at you. Don't let it get to you. Remember, most other students are feeling the same way. Make friends and lean on each other for support. It'll make late-night study sessions worthwhile.

Make new experiences and have fun

As @LCDR.Vanarambaion=US= said, most of your college experience will have nothing to do with studying. Make friends, play a sport, join a club, go for a walk with your friends at 3am, jump out of plane, travel to a new country. This is your time to experience new things without the limitations of having a full-time job and supporting a family.

But, @PO1.JimAlmeida=US= made some good points. I have a favorite quote:

Life is difficult. It's even more difficult when you make stupid decisions.

College has a notorious reputation for the party life and some will try to live it. This mentality isn't realistic. Excessive booze, drugs, and regular flings will more often than not, leave you dissatisfied and unhappy (I see it all the time).

Learn, meet friends, make connections in your career, experience new things, and be safe doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PFC.Hawkeye366=US=

To the Commander and the Staff Sergeant I salute you both for the word of confidence to this young man.

Seaman Recruit,

As the two have said above stay calm, take each day as it comes and remember most of all keep a positive mental attitude.

I applaud you in your choice of study because we could use more good teaching staff and administrators in our school systems.

I wish you luck in your studies.

Archived