1 Fan Going full speed?

Guest MadMonkey

Guest MadMonkey
I have a fan on the back of my PC going full force. Not finding any issues but it wont stop. 3-4 times the speed it normally runs. Any ideas?

Well, Gigabytes often have issues with their stock fans. But if you have a Software that allows you to control custom settings for fans, you might want to check that. Programs like MSI Afterburner or Predator Sense are used for their devices to control custom profiles. But a wierd acting fan is usually a Firmware issue. I would check the manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade for the card.

Guest MadMonkey
No stock, fans are probably the only original part left from my first build. It also stays on after shutting down and a few lights stay on. Where do I get the BIOS upgrade?

Guest PFC.Hawkeye366=US=

Also check and make sure everything is clean inside the case

Blow out any dust inside the case.Pay attention to any buildup around processor and GPU heatsinks Fan constantly running usually means it is trying to remove excess heat

How old is the MOBO? Bios upgrade is not usually needed unless you make new additions to hardware on it.

Guest MadMonkey
Motherboard, GPU, CPU are about 2 years old. PSU is 6 months maybe. I have not done a full clean since I installed the PSU but it stays pretty clean where I keep it, I have filters on all intake fans. It stopped doing it the next day and has not repeated the issue since Fri night. It worried me a little cuz last time I was having issues it came down to a bad PSU.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=

Does the fan have a three or four pin header? Could be something to do with the motherboard header (assuming it's plugged into the motherboard) either applying too high a voltage or applying the wrong pulse width modulation to indicate that the fan should spin at a particular speed.

So, I'd say the issue is either with the fan or with the motherboard's fan header.

Guest MadMonkey
Its my main exhaust fan on the back and prob the oldest of my fans. It has not happened since so cant really nail down anything causing it.

Archived