Headphones, Wired Gaming Headsets or Wireless Gaming Headset?

Guest RET.1SG.Draven=US=

Guest RET.1SG.Draven=US=

UNKSO,

I know we have spoken about this topic in depth before, but I would like to bring it back up again. I have been toying around with the idea of going wireless for my headphones for a while now.

My current set up for audio is as follows:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD650 (massdrop has these SAME headphones listed as the HD6XX - and they might even be a little better than mine).

DAC/AMP: Creative Sound Blaster X7 Limited (amazing external sound card with DAC/AMP built in)

Mic: Blue Snowball (with the Ringer mount and this mic stand)

I have tried Astro A50s, just about anything and everything from Logitech and Creative and even the latest trial: The Steel Series Arctis 7 - which I will be returning because the mic quality and overall sound quality did not even come close to what I already have.

Even though I have been angling toward wireless for some time, does anyone have a recommendation that would rival my current setup? I already know Turtle Beach will come in here somewhere, and maybe even something from Razer. But I am talking about audiophile quality sound, with a mic that sounds as crisp as the one I already have, all rolled into a wireless package.

Even if you don't have a suggestion, feel free to comment on what your current audio setup is. There'll be no judgement here :)

Guest Karval

Definitely recommend Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilees. They are on par with the 660s for 1/4th the price. Excellent Sound Imagery so you can tell which direction footsteps are at. Awesome for music as well. Works amazing with tubes. And unlike some other headphones in the same brand, it can be driven by your phone. So you are not required to use an Amp. It only has a 150 ohm impedance vs the 600 series 300 ohm impedance.

I owned A40s and A50s, Sony, Airpods, Turtles, ETC and I thought they were decent or good, but these 58x gave me a new minimal standard for headphones I cannot get below. I definitely do not recommend wasting money on gaming headsets because 90% of them are poor quality compared to a good pair of entry level audiophile headphones with a mod mic at twice the price. You are pretty much paying for a name brand.

Guest RET.1SG.Draven=US=

This is actually a very good recommendation, SrA. I basically HAD to get a DAC/AMP because I purchased the higher impedance version of these headphones (albeit, this was BEFORE they released the lower ohm versions, and I have had them since 2015).

But these new ones you can use with a mobile device and that's just amazing. To actually be able to have audiophile-grade cans you can use with your phone? And at this price? I don't think anyone should look any further for the best headphones money can buy. It's just too bad a wireless version doesn't exist yet :)

Guest Karval
Yea, that is the only downside to the 58x. They have zero portability in their design. They do not fold and you require a wire. But its an extremely durable set of headphones. I have had them for 6 months now, I use them 12 hours a day at max volume (RIP my ears) listening to EDM/Orchestra and playing games and they are not dropping in quality at all. My a40s felt like their quality dropped over time really fast.

Guest RET.1SG.Draven=US=

Yeah, the ironic thing about actual audiophile-grade headphones is that the soundstage on them opens up as they age - meaning, the drivers loosen and you tend to get a deeper, more rich sound.

They are like a fine wine :)

Guest Soulforged

I use Siberia 800 Wireless headset.

Pros:

Wireless with no latency and good range. Reaches the beer cooler : D

Long battery life with hot swappable batteries - no need to use a cord to charge (although one is included in case)

Comfortable design - won't make my ears hurt even after prolonged use.

Optical in/out for Dolby 7.1 - sound quality is amazing for me compared to my last Logitech G930. But I'm not an audiophile so I'm not sure how good it would be compared to your current setup.

Comes with it's own transmitter so no need for an external sound card or amp. I keep the volume at half and it's plenty loud for me.

Cons:

Expensive: Aprox $300

I'm not sure it's available anymore - might have to get latest model (Arctis Pro Wireless)

No programmable buttons on the headset to enable PTT while you're afk.

Doesn't come with optical cables, only a USB as a backup.

I've had it for over 6 months and no problems with it so far. Batteries are still going strong and I can swap them out in less than 15s. Hope this helps 1LT.

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

I can recommend the Arctis Pro Wireless, been using it for 4 months now. I can't rate the audio or mic quality well because I'm very far from an audiophile, but the quality of life improvements have been worth it for me. I feel like it does hold up to the audio quality of all other headsets I've owned before. I'm not sure if it holds up to your standards 1LT, but maybe someone else might also enjoy it.

• It's pretty nice to be able to just walk around without missing what everyone's talking about and not having to worry about accidentally ripping the headset offthe table thanks to the cord getting trapped around your armrest. Range is about 30ft in my apartment through 3 walls. I know the exact spots in the kitchen and living room where the connection cuts off, but everywhere else it reaches.
  • It comes with a wireless EQ with aux, usb and optical inputs and aux + optical outputs. You can connect the headset to the EQ and another bluetooth device (e.g. your phone) simultaneously and play back audio from both devices at once.
  • The EQ includes a mixer. The way I have it set up (on a 32:9 monitor) is that my PS4 is connected via optical and my PC via USB. When I play PS4 I use Picture-in-Picture mode on my monitor to have the PS4 on one side and the PC on the other. The mixer then allows me to hear the PS4 audio while still letting me talk and listen on Discord over the PC.
  • Additional pretty neat mode for the mixer: The PC drivers come with two virtual audio devices: Game and Chat. Discord would default to Chat, your default audio output device on Windows would be Game. You can then mix the two to whatever you need in the situation. A bit louder game and quieter chatter takes you 3 seconds.
  • The swappable batteries that SFC Soulforged mentioned are great. Can be plugged into the EQ and charge right from there. I have to swap mine about once a day after somewhere between 6-10 hours of use. The headset comes with two, so you'll never have an empty battery for more than ~20 seconds (or however long you need to swap them out). If/when they degrade in performance you can get a pack of 2 replacement batteries for $20

They seem to be on the smaller side however, I've had a couple of friends try them out and some mentioned that they pull their ears up a bit and could potentially be uncomfortable in longer sessions, but I don't have any issues in that regard.

Guest RET.1SG.Draven=US=
I can recommend the Arctis Pro Wireless, been using it for 4 months now. I can't rate the audio or mic quality well because I'm very far from an audiophile, but the quality of life improvements have been worth it for me. I feel like it does hold up to the audio quality of all other headsets I've owned before. I'm not sure if it holds up to your standards 1LT, but maybe someone else might also enjoy it.

• It's pretty nice to be able to just walk around without missing what everyone's talking about and not having to worry about accidentally ripping the headset offthe table thanks to the cord getting trapped around your armrest. Range is about 30ft in my apartment through 3 walls. I know the exact spots in the kitchen and living room where the connection cuts off, but everywhere else it reaches.
  • It comes with a wireless EQ with aux, usb and optical inputs and aux + optical outputs. You can connect the headset to the EQ and another bluetooth device (e.g. your phone) simultaneously and play back audio from both devices at once.
  • The EQ includes a mixer. The way I have it set up (on a 32:9 monitor) is that my PS4 is connected via optical and my PC via USB. When I play PS4 I use Picture-in-Picture mode on my monitor to have the PS4 on one side and the PC on the other. The mixer then allows me to hear the PS4 audio while still letting me talk and listen on Discord over the PC.
  • Additional pretty neat mode for the mixer: The PC drivers come with two virtual audio devices: Game and Chat. Discord would default to Chat, your default audio output device on Windows would be Game. You can then mix the two to whatever you need in the situation. A bit louder game and quieter chatter takes you 3 seconds.
  • The swappable batteries that SFC Soulforged mentioned are great. Can be plugged into the EQ and charge right from there. I have to swap mine about once a day after somewhere between 6-10 hours of use. The headset comes with two, so you'll never have an empty battery for more than ~20 seconds (or however long you need to swap them out). If/when they degrade in performance you can get a pack of 2 replacement batteries for $20

They seem to be on the smaller side however, I've had a couple of friends try them out and some mentioned that they pull their ears up a bit and could potentially be uncomfortable in longer sessions, but I don't have any issues in that regard.

LT,

First of all: great hearing from you, sir.

Second of all: that's the best and most practical review of that headset any has ever written. Seriously. And you're right, they may not live up to the Sennheisers I already have, but the wireless functionality is pretty awesome. I might have to give the Pros a shot.

Again, thank you for your feedback, sir.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note9 using =US= Unknown Soldiers mobile app

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

I am a big fan of V-Moda.

I love my sound and I love my bass. These headphones paired with your DAC would be awesome and you may like them but again everyone's hearing tastes differ. They are also customizable.

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100

Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQpmVFhWL8

It also has a mic you can buy as well

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Microphone-Gaming-Communication/dp/B00BJ17WKK

Cons

The ear cushion are not that great after long usage, I bought fatter ones.

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-XL-Cushions-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00K3K8TKA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2R3VHJQMRU05O&keywords=vmoda+earpads&qid=1556673492&s=electronics&sprefix=vmoda+ea%2Celectronics%2C328&sr=1-3

They come in Wireless as well.

Guest RET.1SG.Draven=US=
I am a big fan of V-Moda.

I love my sound and I love my bass. These headphones paired with your DAC would be awesome and you may like them but again everyone's hearing tastes differ. They are also customizable.

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/crossfade-m-100

Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEQpmVFhWL8

It also has a mic you can buy as well

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Microphone-Gaming-Communication/dp/B00BJ17WKK

Cons

The ear cushion are not that great after long usage, I bought fatter ones.

https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-XL-Cushions-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00K3K8TKA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2R3VHJQMRU05O&keywords=vmoda+earpads&qid=1556673492&s=electronics&sprefix=vmoda+ea%2Celectronics%2C328&sr=1-3

They come in Wireless as well.

Thank you, General. I also have V-Moda Crossfades. V-Moda is definitely an unsung hero in the headphone world.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note9 using =US= Unknown Soldiers mobile app